Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Should I call it a 'mini-snickers' now?




For people who know me, this will surprise you!

On Sunday, there was a mini-marathon in Lisbon. I dragged myself out of bed and around the 7km course. I trained for a couple of weeks in preparation. I even stayed off the beer for three whole days before the race! I've been going to the gym a fair bit since I got here, but I normally don't do much running so I was a little worried. I knew I could get round 7km, but I didn't want to embarass myself in front of the rest of the gym, as we were all running together. In the end, I finished second out of the dozen or so people from the gym who took part so I was pretty proud of myself.

The main draw of the run was that they close the bridge across the river Tejo for the morning and it's the only day of the year when pedestrians are allowed on the bridge. We got the best views of the city and the huge statue of Christ that faces Lisbon from the other side of the river.

I have promised myself that I will try the 22km half-marathon next year, and after that - who knows...!

No comments: