Monday, March 26, 2007

Shake, Rattle and Roll

First things first. My mate Iain, who was a teacher in the same school as myself in Japan, is coming to see me in a couple of weeks. He is just about to leave Japan, having been there for two years and after netting himself a cracking ex-student to bring home with him (insert your own punching-above-weight/ out-of-league gag here!). So you can understand that I was concerned when I heard that there had been an earthquake in central Japan earlier today. He has been in contact to say that he is okay, but it made me think about how people manage to live with the risk of natural disaster hanging over them daily. I remember the attitude of the Japanese when I was there. When asked if they were worried about the threat of earthquakes, (or tsunamis, or volcanoes, or Mothra) they always had the same reply; YES! But what can you do?!
You might imagine that people would get used to them when they happen so regularly, but there is a realistic possibility of a huge quake levelling Tokyo - how could you ever gear your mind to cope with a possibility like that?
Luckily, it has been over two hundred and fifty years since an earthquake and it's resulting tsunami submerged Lisbon. What do you mean: another one is due!?!?

No comments: