Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Tat's all folks


Tattoos.

A poignantly permanent reminder of an important time in your life or an easily recognisable branding of the classless? Discuss.

I have been thinking about getting a tattoo for a while and I would appreciate your advice. The picture I have attached is of a commemorative coin, issued for the 1964 Tokyo Olympics. It is the design that I have chosen to be emblazoned across my shoulder. Maybe.

I chose it after a reasonably thorough period of research. I wanted to get Mt. Fuji because I climbed it on a whim one September and it represents everything that I love about travelling and doing things that everybody dreams about but never gets round to actually doing.

I like the way that the cherry blossom surrounds Fuji-san. When I arrived in Japan in March 2005, Sakura season had just started. While I recognised that the blossoms were beautiful, I didn't understand why they were so important to the Japanese people. Over the next year, I began to appreciate the culture and tradition and it bothered me that I had been so cynical the previous year. When it came time for me to leave Japan the following March, I was a little sad that I would miss the cherry blossoms - due to start opening the week after I left - and it meant a lot to me that this deeply Japanese tradition had become even a small part of my life.

I think this design would make a really fitting tribute to an important year in my life. Or not.

Answers on an e-card.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

A tatoo of blossoms is pretty gay man. You should think this through a little more, you see one day it is quite likely that you will end up in prison. here i expect tatoos and the origin of such is a popular topic of conversation. I suspect, although I have been wrong in the past, that tatoos of blossoms are not given the same ammount of jail cred. as say, tatoos of, hoes and other such hood paraphinailia. Subsequently I suspect you may end up getting a pounding...one way or another.